Providing comprehensive personal injury services to St. Louis’ injured
Our Attorneys Are Personally Committed To Treating You Right
Devastating Results Can Happen From Truck or Semi-Truck Crashes
Large commercial vehicle and tractor-trailer accidents are often devastating. A fully loaded truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds — this fact, combined with the diminished handling and braking factors involved in maneuvering or suddenly stopping these vehicles, is a recipe for disaster if the truck driver and/or the company behave carelessly or recklessly.
At Edelman & Muehleisen LLC, we represent the injured parties in commercial vehicle accidents involving vehicles such as:
- Tractor-trailers/18-wheel trucks
- Moving vans and trucks (e.g. Mayflower, United Van Lines, etc.)
- Delivery vans and trucks (e.g. UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.)
- School buses, city buses or party buses
Drivers Do Not Always Follow Regulations And Rules
Due to the risks involved and the large impact on our economy, the trucking industry is heavily regulated by the federal government. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (an administration within the United States Department of Transportation) was established on January 1, 2000, to oversee and regulate the industry. The FMCSA promulgated a set of rules called the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR).
The most commonly seen causes of a truck accident or other commercial vehicle accidents tend to be:
- Driver inattention through talking on a cell phone, texting, etc.
- Traffic violations such as speeding, following too closely, improper lane changes, etc.
- Driver fatigue
- Faulty equipment. such as bad tires, bad brakes, etc.
In order to combat these common problems, the FMCSRs have specific rules for:
- Commercial vehicle/truck driver training and driving conduct
- Traffic violation reporting
- Maximum driving hours allowed per person
- Frequent equipment inspection requirements
Fighting Back Against Insurance And Trucking Companies
Our attorneys have represented accident victims for years and we understand how to win these cases and strategize a strong defense. If you or a loved one has been in an accident with a tractor-trailer, bus, or another type of commercial vehicle, you need an attorney well versed in these regulations and experienced in handling these types of cases.